Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Brukman- First Contact

I got up this morning early, at 8:30.  After a breakfast of little slices of bread and butter with a cafe con leche I carefully gathered all of my technological equipment to make the short trip to Brukman.  After a crowded subte ride and a fifteen minute walk I arrived in front.
I didn't even hesitate for a second as my nerves screamed, "Wait!  Sit outside a minute!  Gather yourself!"  
"No, " my brain said.  "You will be gathered and you will enter this very second."
I rang the bell and saw two workers inside, obviously wondering who could be ringing the bell.  One of them answered and I introduced myself, saying I had an invitation to interview them.  She let me in and I introduced myself again, elaborating on the fact that I had written a thesis and was a political science student.  The smartest thing that I did was bring a copy of the e-mail that they sent me, declaring me welcome. 
She said that this week it would not be possible, but to call her next Tuesday at 10:30.
That's still good, right?  They probably have to ask in assembly who would like to talk to me.  Surely someone will take pity on me and give me an interview.
I really did have my shit together in there, a thousand times more than when I arrived at the hostel.  I was all red and perspiring a bit since it's 97 degrees here and I'd been walking.
My only fear is that I traveled all the way here with their invitation and that they will deny me.
I did give her the copy of the e-mail, so they wouldn't go back on their word, right?
Now that I think about it, I should have gotten recommendations from Mirkin and Luis.  Damn, well, too late now.
Hopefully I'll get to see Fernando today, it would be nice to see a friendly face.  And to ride his motorcycle.  Plus he could get that suitcase which can only be stuffed with dead bodies or rocks.
Well, now all I can do is wait a week, and try to get to as many recuperated businesses as possible as well as the anarchist bookstore here, which probably has tons of information that is not available in the United States.
Now I'm sitting in the cafe next to the hostel, eating a grilled cheese and ham sandwich and drinking a glass of white wine.  I think I deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment